KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 20 — The Sungai Buloh-Kajang MRT project will not cost over RM23 billion and is on track for completion by July 2017, said Mass Rapid Transit Corp Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) chief executive officer Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid.
Market talk has it that the cost of MRT Line 1 project would exceed RM23 billion and go as high as RM50 billion.
“We will ensure the project stays within the budget,” he said at a media briefing on the MRT Project Progress Report 2012 here today.
As at December 18, 2012, MRT Corp has awarded a total of 54 packages worth RM20.31 billion out of 85 packages, he said.
“The remaining 31 packages worth around RM3 billion will be gradually awarded,” Azhar said.
On the participation of the Bumiputera contractors, he said the value of contracts awarded to date against the total awarded stood at 45 per cent.
Earlier he said, three per cent of the project had been completed since groundwork began in March.
“We will be able to meet the deadline. The construction work will be intense in the next 24 months,” Azhar said.
He said most engagements along the 51km alignment had gone well but there were some areas with issues, namely, Pinggir Zaaba in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Jalan Sultan, Jalan Bukit Bintang and SJK (C) Naam Kheung in Cheras.
“We have initiated whatever action we can to avoid the issues affecting them.
“It is their right if they choose to take legal action but we will continue this public transport project,” he said.
In another development, Azhar said MRT Corp was ready to undertake MRT Line 2 and Line 3, which were currently under final planning and evaluation by the Land Public Transport Commission.
“It is good if we were given the responsibilities to monitor and track the projects.
“We already have the expertise and equipment to handle that,” he said.
The government is expected to announce the alignment and station locations of Line 2 and Line 3 next year. — Bernama